The Opening Ceremony | Page 18 | Golden Skate

The Opening Ceremony

icybear

Medalist
I think the two Koreans marching together got a lot of western viewers scratching their head when all their media outlets were building to some massive riot or disaster between the two countries. I think it shows the media aren't showing the actual picture. The two countries were only separated due to Russia and America after WW2.

begin

Medalist
I think the two Koreans marching together got a lot of western viewers scratching their head when all their media outlets were building to some massive riot or disaster between the two countries. I think it shows the media aren't showing the actual picture. The two countries were only separated due to Russia and America after WW2.

Most SKoreans view their northern counterparts with some degree of sadness. They're obviously more aware of how families and friends were ripped apart by the war.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My Instagram was littered with firsthand opening ceremony quick stories. It really dawned on me that in spite of rampant misuse of social media it is really useful in bringing us together. So many of the athletes were cheering on other countries and obviously had real friends from all over the globe. In addition to the level of world travel the athletes regularly do the social media contact helps to cement and maintain these relationships. Sure..there are always going to be people who abuse social media and insist on being divisive but the Olympic movement is proof of the unifying power of sport.

The ceremony looked awesome from I could see and there were so many cool moments. I however felt bad for the athletes who had to wait in that subway station afterward. :eek:

Barb

Record Breaker
Olympics is not about the show, it's about unity. Two Koreans marching together as a unified country alone tops any "performances" throughout the ages especially how much politics have affected their separation. Olympics is about bringing countries together. You're forgetting the core values of the Olympics. If you want a show, go watch a circus

And I remember people in Brazil really mad because of all the money they spend, I think it was the same in Russia. Anyway, I loved the ceremony, especially the drones thing was so spectacular. The soprano singing was great too.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The soprano singing was great too.
Sumi Hwang. She's wonderful.
Okay, I'm totally biased, back in 2014 I very closely followed the Queen Elisabeth competition for Voice. Which she won, so yeah, I did a little squee when I heard her name announced during the opening ceremony. :luv17:

ivanja

On the Ice
Country
Croatia
Great moments from the athlete walk ins from the top my head. Alexei of Israel couldn't look more chuffed holding his flag, really nice comment about him from the BBC about his performance in the Team event.
So happy to see Virtue and Moir holding the flag for Canada. Total Legend :) Fingers crossed with the chase...

MCM from Philippines and Julian from Malaysia, cute guys putting figure skating on their map. Best of luck to them.

Did I miss anyone else carrying the flag?

Moris carried the Georgian flag.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Should've woken up early to watch opening ceremony live. Watching NBC, and wondering when exactly they will show the opening ceremony and stop with all these fluff pieces?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Should've woken up early to watch opening ceremony live. Watching NBC, and wondering when exactly they will show the opening ceremony and stop with all these fluff pieces?

Ikr?! I went to bed at 1 am EST. And I should have woken up......augh......

3dsushi

On the Ice

And that that stupid enhance mode NBC using on live stream where they put nothing but useless information. Almost uses half of the screen. Someone know how to disable that?

3dsushi

On the Ice
Hoping to watch a complete video on youtube. This NBC broadcast is just terrible:disapp::disagree:

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I just realized that Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou are both a year older than I expected. (I thought Chen was born in 2000 and Zhou in 2001.)

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I've really been enjoying the Opening Ceremony! The tiger and other animals at the beginning were cool. All the teams have great gear and it's fun getting to learn who each country's flag bearer is!