The Opening Ceremony | Page 19 | Golden Skate

The Opening Ceremony

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Seeing the athletes from North Korea and South Korea come in together makes me smile. I'm so glad they're getting such a warm reception.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally getting to catch the opening ceremony. I just love the spirit behind the olympics! May we always be able to come together in celebration of hope and togetherness.

Love the theme of the 5 kids :agree:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Yuna will be coming out soon on the NBC feed I’m watching....:hap85:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm the meaning of Arirang, Imagine, Doves, Unity of two nations, Goblins, Buckwheats, Hanbok, Korean folk songs....the list goes on and the only thing you care about is some lights? Try to learn the culture before you judge

I loved the symbolism of hope for a bright future which was a clear theme especially with the five kids and their journey. The Imagine cover was a really cool moment too. The athletes seemed to enjoy it to based on the reactions I’ve seen.

I’m getting into the spirit finally :yes2:

padme21

On the Ice
The Olympic ceremony didn't wow me either but for a different reason than yours I why did enjoy the technical aspect it was great it just felt like it was missing something I couldn't quite put my finger on it but even Sochi had more of the it factor for some reason not saying something I was a bit disappointed I hoping the closing ceremonies will fill in that gap. The lighting of the torch was great though I knew it had to be Kim Yuna. It couldn't be anyone but her to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:laugh: On Channel Seven news tonight in Aus...a special feature on Tonga Guy who stole the show at the Opening Ceremony - seriously that was the Olympic story on the ad for the news I just saw.

Obviously they'll be covering other stuff, but I thought that was hilarious.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh: On Channel Seven news tonight in Aus...a special feature on Tonga Guy who stole the show at the Opening Ceremony - seriously that was the Olympic story on the ad for the news I just saw.

Obviously they'll be covering other stuff, but I thought that was hilarious.

He seems young enough to just keep competing for years and become a true star of every opening ceremony for both summer and Winter Olympics in the near future. A bare chested oily future that is :laugh2:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Julian the dog? Whose Julian???

Julian Yee the figure skater for Malaysia, he got to be the flag bearer for Team Malaysia (I think maybe there's one other athlete from that country there too).

Quite a few figure skaters as flag bearers at the Parade of Nations, good times! :)

sakurano

Final Flight
It was a beautiful opening ceremony, I enjoyed rediscovering the history of Korea, the choreography, the music the sets were beautiful and the hanbock already in the historical dramas I thought it was very beautiful but see them on French TV it makes me appreciate even more, more specialization of Korea has been very useful. The strongest moments for me is the reunification of the two korea, Yuna Kim, the traditional songs, Young You holding the flag, the song , Imagine with the colombes and especially the parade of athletes with my favorite bands Twice, Big Bang, Red Velvet BTS;) I think it was one of the best CO after Sochi

A.H.Black

Final Flight
So NBC didn't show the Olympic Oath at all. Did I miss something? I'm assuming the oath was taken.

ETA - I found my answer by googling. Screengrabber says this -
NBC’s tape-delayed Olympic opening ceremony broadcast, as usual, didn’t manage to air the entire event. While the Peacock Network continues to improve upon previous years’ heavy hand in editing, they still sliced off 23 minutes in the 14 hours that passed before it finally hit NBC’s airwaves. Here’s a breakdown of what was excised; a sped-up video of every second that NBC missed is up above.

(We’ll note that if NBC had simply skipped its half-hour promotional content it aired before starting the opening ceremony proper, it could have aired the whole thing in its entirety.)