2014 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Free Skate 11/15 | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Pairs Free Skate 11/15

rosacotton

Final Flight
I confess towards the end, I thought "I'm going to youtube D/W's program when this is over." And I DO plan to do that. :)

Same here. :yes:

Congrats to Haven and Brandon for finishing second in the long program. Sooo close to third overall! Bring it at Nationals!!!

unico

Final Flight
Oh you can't question the tech. But it is SO BUSY that I found it hard to emotionally engage with it. I prefer K/S for my uber traumadrama, thank you very much. YMMV of course.
I think I agree on all counts, especially compared to K/S, but S/K are solid as rocks out there. Can't take anything away from that event-closing throw 3S.

Ugnele

Rinkside
Kristina ASTAKHOVA / Alexei ROGONOV (RUS)

Music: The Master and Margarita (soundtrack) by Igor Korneliuk

She's in spidery black shredded dress. He's in red coat, black pants

2T+2T - she doubles, he does 3T+2T
3Tw - bit low catch, something fell of the costume on entry
3S
BoDs
3LzTh
ChSq
FCCoSp3p
3LoTh
5RLi
PCoSp3p
5ALi* - big problems getting her up, succeeds at last, but it may not count
3Li

Solid skate until that lift - could cost them bronze...

FS: 49.12+58.40-1.00 = 106.52, 164.86, 1st (out of 6) - wow, they lead with 0.01 pts!

If there's anyone interested, Alexei Rogonov participated in a skating show in Lithuania this year. He and his partner did a a program to the same music (Master and Margarita) and it was quite an impressive program and of course a winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwYbACgKgE

oleada

Record Breaker
u

Sucks that this is only Ksenia and Fedor's only GP event :(

No, they're at TEB next week!

I'm surprised people are surprised T/M finished second. All their elements were either excellent (twist, lifts, death spiral, etc) or failed (jumps). Their base value is very high. Combine that with a 13 pt lead from the SP and it's no surprise they're second. Their overall skating quality is better tha both A/R and D/F. Those two teams also had mistakes , even if they weren't falls (pops, shaky lift and/or jump sequence). Denney will be kicking herself over that jump in the SP.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think I agree on all counts, especially compared to K/S, but S/K are solid as rocks out there. Can't take anything away from that event-closing throw 3S.

You can't argue with the tech score.Technically, they're :jaw: But again, there's no breathing room in that program so, for me, it has no place to emotionally engage with it. I guess it's the difference between being impressed (wow--what great tricks!) and being moved (wow--yup, relationships can be wonderful and they can be torture).

thoakun

Final Flight
If there's anyone interested, Alexei Rogonov participated in a skating show in Lithuania this year. He and his partner did a a program to the same music (Master and Margarita) and it was quite an impressive program and of course a winner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwYbACgKgE
Thank you. I must admit that I don't watch a lot of pairs skating and I'm not familiar with this pair, but I was spellbound by their performance tonight.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I felt the same way. With S/K, I'll remember tricks, but with Marlie and with K/S I remember the program.

Funny how that works.

Savage_Tiger

Rinkside
It's not too surprising Tarasova/Morozov got second, they had a huge lead from the short, and even though they fell the jumps were still fully rotated.
They're still a nice pair that has good potential.
Really glad Ashkatova/Roganov had a good showing here, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for him so it's nice to see him doing well with the new partner, Russian pairs sure has a lot of depth even when V/T and K/S retire.

unico

Final Flight
Meagan Duhamel weighs in:

Meagan Duhamel ‏@mhjd_85
@SkatingLesson haha i like stolbova and klimov! But when @Rad85E and I hit a clean long ..... watch out World!

TMC

Record Breaker
I'd be curious to know which program you feel more connected with. Same with you Doggygirl. Just curious.

D/W for sure. But I still got chills watching S/K.

Just watched it....ahhh such perfection :love:

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'd be curious to know which program you feel more connected with. Same with you Doggygirl. Just curious.

OK. So I just watched DW's. What a nice walk down memory lane - that was quite a program. I think I'll wait to render an answer to this question until World Championships. I watched the 2013 Worlds version of DW which I'm sure was much better than their first outing of the season. I LOVE DW's version. But I also really liked S/K. Also hard to really compare pairs and dance. I will say that SK doing the throw at the end defintely brings the :drama: for the end of this program as the music climaxes!