2018 Internationaux de France Rhythm Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Rhythm Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yup. And V&M and D&W were stellar at that task too. While the TR was not an SD rhythm in the 2010-2014 quad, the Yankee Polka, which is just as hard as the TR, was, and it has faster, trickier timing.

If Domnina & Shabalin had had the physical health, and had been able to continue to next quad, they would have been good at the SD too, as would Delobel and Schoenfelder. In fact I would love :love: to have seen them skate this Tango RD!

P&C have lovely stroking, but their timing has never been their strongest point.

We are seeing the fall out of now having few teams that ever really competed compulsory dances at a senior or even very seriously at the junior level.

Spot on.

DonP

Rinkside
Gosh, I missed them so much! Even the Russian commentators kept quiet!

Don't be disrespectful. On the Eurosport channel two times Worlds champion in dances Maxim Staviski was one of the commentators, Elena Radionova was one of the commentators on another channel. . And their comments through the whole day were friendly, competent and objective.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
It was a different time with different rules. Now it's not the point just to interpret tango, but to incorporate it in a bigger picture (with another dance rhythm preferably)

Yeah like with imma be :p

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Mary and Alicia of the Flutzes and Waxels podcast have been on the warpath about TR levels all season, so I expect their episode about this event will be similarly annoyed.

I’ve just discovered them and it is so helpful and frustrating. Apparently next season (Broadway Hollywood) doesn’t even have a pattern?!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
how can PC get many 10s for interpretation of music and timing... when one element made to measure that, the TR pattern, got them a level 1 because they missed their keypoints? Missing keypoints is missing their timing of steps on the pattern isn't it?

I am fine with rankings but that score for me is way too high and far apart from the other teams... the top 3-4 teams should be much closer IMHO but hey... i know nothing :)

I wish the JUDGES knew as much "nothing" as you claim to.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
how can PC get many 10s for interpretation of music and timing... when one element made to measure that, the TR pattern, got them a level 1 because they missed their keypoints? Missing keypoints is missing their timing of steps on the pattern isn't it?

I am fine with rankings but that score for me is way too high and far apart from the other teams... the top 3-4 teams should be much closer IMHO but hey... i know nothing :)

That is not correct. They didn't miss the timing - when couple miss a timing they got T in their pattern. They didn't perform steps with right/deep enough edges so they got N in first pattern fot those key points!

LaArdilla

Medalist
Don't be disrespectful. Elena Radionova was one of the commentators. And their comments through the whole day were friendly and objective.

Elena was the commentator at Ladies event, not RD. At least in the stream I was watching (Eurosport). I don’t doubt the comments were friendly and objective, but talking throughout THE WHOLE program without a break is less than ideal. I want to hear a bit of music too, you know.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Yup. And V&M and D&W were stellar at that task too. While the TR was not an SD rhythm in the 2010-2014 quad, the Yankee Polka, which is just as hard as the TR, was, and it has faster, trickier timing.

If Domnina & Shabalin had had the physical health, and had been able to continue to next quad, they would have been good at the SD too, as would Delobel and Schoenfelder. In fact I would love :love: to have seen them skate this Tango RD!

P&C have lovely stroking, but their timing has never been their strongest point.

We are seeing the fall out of now having few teams that ever really competed compulsory dances at a senior or even very seriously at the junior level.

I agree :agree: but i was not talking about that. I'm just saying that Compulsary dance and Short Dance have different tasks. You can't compare it like that. Also Short Dance and Rhythm Dance. Ice Dance committee specifically change the name of a short program this year also suggesting that is not the point for skaters to skate literal tangos in their RD programs as a whole. They need to skate just the tango patterns/steps, the whole dance and performance doesn't need to have a tango feeling!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That is not correct. They didn't miss the timing - when couple miss a timing they got T in their pattern. They didn't perform steps with right/deep enough edges so they got N in first pattern fot those key points!

fair enough... so take points in the PCS category referring to edges ;) same difference... i love tangos... and i was bored silly with theirs... so musicality and interpretation? yeah right.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
fair enough... so take points in the PCS category referring to edges ;) same difference... i love tangos... and i was bored silly with theirs... so musicality and interpretation? yeah right.

There's no edges component though :DD

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

That’s a shame you felt that I thought that while the pattern did need practice the whole aura of the performance was divine.

AliAle

On the Ice
what about skating skills?

How do you know they didn't? Also, levels are decided on by the technical panel and focus only on certain steps for the key points (a wrong edge, change of edge, incorrect turn or hold for one element - out of the 45 making up the two TR sequences, can lose you a level).
1) I very much doubt the judges see all these small mistakes - especially when not obvious.
2) How much exactly are we proposing they subtract from SS for any missed level? One L1 pattern does not equal terrible skating skills, otherwise I would imagine individual skaters would get -0.25 on SS for any fall or pop, right?

for anyone technical enough, the key points for RD are on page 6 here: https://www.isu.org/inside-single-p...ications-fs/16863-isu-communication-2148/file

moon

On the Ice
I thought H/B and G/P scores should have been reversed. The last GP in particular is always full of judging games.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I don’t think the Americans were underscored, and I am American. Granted, I think McNamara and Carpenter have technical prowess, H/D the need for a shower, and everyone else is various shades of tapioca pudding level dull.

LaArdilla

Medalist
I think that considering it was their first performance of this tango, P/C did great. They have to work on that first pattern, the second one got level 4, their skating is buttery smooth as always.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why were Kaitlin and Jean Luc alone in the Kiss and Cry? Where are their coaches?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so nervous for Piper and Paul. I prefer to watch skating when I'm not emotionally involved in the outcome.

I get really bored watching skating when I'm not emotionally invested in the outcome:)