2018 Internationaux de France Rhythm Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Rhythm Dance

rain

Record Breaker
I am so nervous for Piper and Paul. I prefer to watch skating when I'm not emotionally involved in the outcome.

I'm really annoyed that Piper and Paul got stuck in the two deepest fields of the season, when they could easily have taken gold medals in a couple of the events. They deserve to be at the GPF, but will likely not make it while inferior teams will. Selfishly, I really wanted to see their programs again before Canadian nationals. Now I'm just hoping for another sublime performance of their FD.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think the Americans were underscored, and I am American. Granted, I think McNamara and Carpenter have technical prowess, H/D the need for a shower, and everyone else is various shades of tapioca pudding level dull.

Jean-Luc, dull? The boy could be skating with *me* and not be dull:laugh:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
It's one of my favorite dances of all time. Even her backward dress is first rate! :)

Hey style counts! All kinds of style! :)

The first time I really fell in love with them was their Argentine Tango at Cup of China I think 2007. I watched that so many times!
Such a shame for his injuries. I prefer not to think about their 2010 olympic journey because of the mess with the OD. But that TR, and yes even her gorgeous dress should not be forgotten.
Even though I adore P/C, I was underwhelmed with the compulsory part and surprised that Vika and Nikita did it better. But I did enjoy the overall program

Big Deal

Final Flight
I am having difficulties to adopt myself to the "post-Virtue/Moir" era...... If it remains like this I will gradually lose my interest what I don't want to do....

Shedi0806

On the Ice
P/C are wonderful, but they are skating way too far apart on the pattern especially on the TR1, which also got a level 1 and I don't really get the GOE on that. Also, he is bent and leaning over in the waist maybe trying to get closer to her? Again, they are fantastic, it is just, they are not gonna work on that if they get such high marks for that pattern.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
what about skating skills?

Yeah but you cannot suddenly say P/C have no skating skills because they botched a couple of keypoints.

Besides usually judges give good SS for speed and stuff like that.

Lester

Final Flight
I am so nervous for Piper and Paul. I prefer to watch skating when I'm not emotionally involved in the outcome.

I know right!
So much was at stake with the RD that I could barely enjoy it.
I rewatched it later in the evening and I thought: hey, it looks good, it's not a disaster, despite the low levels, but at the moment of watching it was like torture.

I am not even going to look at the TES box for the FD!

LaArdilla

Medalist
I wished Piper and Paul hadn’t made those twizzles of theirs yesterday... Don’t get me wrong, they are awesome and so original, but maybe switching them for something more “traditional” for that one competition, when so much is at stake, would have been more beneficial and safe? Then they could bring them back for other competitions, like nationals or worlds or something.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I wished Piper and Paul hadn’t made those twizzles of theirs yesterday... Don’t get me wrong, they are awesome and so original, but maybe switching them for something more “traditional” for that one competition, when so much is at stake, would have been more beneficial and safe? Then they could bring them back for other competitions, like nationals or worlds or something.

The thing is that they compell so much to the creation, vision put for the music and for the dance from beginning to end - honestly, I cannot imagine this dance with better accentuation these twizzles provides. They will maybe water the originality of them for levels' sake, but it won't be the same for me. Their change in tempo while executing elements may be not beneficial judging-wise, but it is innovative, creative and catches an eye. I just have to accept how it goes when it comes to the reception of such stuff and don't look at TES box.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That is not correct. They didn't miss the timing - when couple miss a timing they got T in their pattern. They didn't perform steps with right/deep enough edges so they got N in first pattern fot those key points!

In the case where a key point is missed, the protocols do not show whether it also has a timing error. A T is only given when the KP is correctly skated, but its timing is not correct. It is often the case that both timing and edges are wrong on a missed KP. You have to watch and count the beats to know.

I agree :agree: but i was not talking about that. I'm just saying that Compulsary dance and Short Dance have different tasks. You can't compare it like that. Also Short Dance and Rhythm Dance. Ice Dance committee specifically change the name of a short program this year also suggesting that is not the point for skaters to skate literal tangos in their RD programs as a whole. They need to skate just the tango patterns/steps, the whole dance and performance doesn't need to have a tango feeling!
Actually, if two tangoes are chosen, there must be a tango feel to both, but only the pattern dance needs a Tango Romantica expression. A team could chose the rest of the dance to be an Argentine Tango, for example. Or a team can chose another recognizable rhythm. I have seen foxtrot, hip-hop, Swing, Charleston and others as the non TR part of this year's RD. But each rhythm choice used must be expressed, hence the change to the name Rhythm Dance.

Last edited:

Lester

Final Flight

Well they didn't have any problems with them at Skate Canada, so maybe they didn't think there will be problems now.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There are more steps included in the keypoints this season, therefore, it is harder to get them all correct. A few teams are definitely getting most of them though. And a bunch of teams aren't.

If you want to see the TR done well look at the Olympics in 2010. The top three were all vastly superior to anything this season. Makes you wish Davis/ White or Virtue/Moir were still competing. The RD is a mess this year.

There were no keypoints in 2010, and I believe the tech committee has already talked about how when they looked at the 2010 performances, no one there actually hit the rocker (last two keypoints on the first half of this pattern).

All my ice dance knowledge lies in looking at the TES box, but uhh, I take it the Tango Romantica is very hard? Cos I don't think I've seen anyone hit 4/4 all season long, not even P/C here :eeking:

McNamara & Carpenter had 4/4. Guignard & Fabbri and Wang & Liu have had 4/3. Zagorski & Guerreiro had 3/4. Stepanova & Bukin and Sinitsina & Katsalapov have had 3/3. A number of other teams, including Carreira & Ponomarenko and Papadakis & Cizeron have had a 4 on one part of the pattern with another level lower than three.

Go Parsons! (or would plural be Parsonses?)

Parsons is fine.

how did Vikita ended up in first group? They were great!

Trainwrecked their World Standings via mucking up two years ago while being wandering journeymen with no coach, also skipping or doing only one Challenger event the last couple years, and finally dropping out midway through Nationals last season and missing the post-season.

Meanwhile the young North American teams and top Asian teams went to 4CCs without the normal medal contenders and brought in loads of points at 4CCs. Plus they and the mid-ranked European teams have participated at two or more Challenger events this fall.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Trainwrecked their World Standings via mucking up two years ago while being wandering journeymen with no coach, also skipping or doing only one Challenger event the last couple years, and finally dropping out midway through Nationals last season and missing the post-season.

I'm sure you didn't mean it, but it sounds a bit like they decided not to bother. Nikita was seriously injured. The doctor said he was right to stop mid-dance, otherwise it could have got worse.

Well, they're back! :agree:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Sorry for the random question, but does anyone know where to find the list/pool of RD rhythms that the ISU uses when choosing an RD theme?

The list of junior and senior CD's is here. Pattern dances are chosen from these lists.
https://www.ice-dance.com/site/reference/pattern-dance-descriptions-patterns/

Rhythm Dances are new. There is some documentation here:
https://www.ice-dance.com/site/reference/rhythm-dances/

Next season is "Musical, Operetta, Broadway"
For juniors, the pattern dance is the Tea Time Foxtrot, based on Kaliszek & Spodyriev' s 2016 short dance
http://shop.isu.org/index.php/singl...-pattern-dance-for-ice-dance-2018-2019-detail

The seniors do not have a real pattern dance designated:

The Pattern Dance Type Step Sequence skated to one of the following Rhythms: Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka or Foxtrot.

Additional information to be published in a subsequent ISU Communication.

I'm really annoyed that Piper and Paul got stuck in the two deepest fields of the season, when they could easily have taken gold medals in a couple of the events. They deserve to be at the GPF, but will likely not make it while inferior teams will. Selfishly, I really wanted to see their programs again before Canadian nationals. Now I'm just hoping for another sublime performance of their FD.

They will be at Golden Spin :)

And yes, they could have won NHK, for sure. I will miss them at the GPF :cry:

Last edited: