2018 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Free Dance

s_parks

Record Breaker
I feel like it's been clear for a while the judges like S/K though. It's just that they haven't skated up to it often. (absolutely not saying S/K deserved 1st in the fd, just my observations of their scores whenever they skated well internationally).

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm truly grateful for being able to view this livestream on utube.

But I swear I'm not going to complain about Tara's babbling again, after hearing TAT's continuous babbling.

I'm a person who wants to enjoy the set up of the program ... the tone, the mood, the beginning of the music and the outlook of the skater(s), how they're framing the dance or the FS. The commentators seemed to think the program didn't start until it was time to score the first element.

Still, this was a most enjoyable event. Thanks everyone! :)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Protocols Up: http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/gpcan2018/gpcan2018_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

Good news is that G/P got the highest BV. H/D had an extended lift.

However, with the way they revised the scoring system this season, the incremental differences between levels have lessened quite alot (eg. level 2 and level 3 on XSt differs by 0.5 only versus 1.5 of last season) and therefore, GOE plays a much greater role now (and there are also three choreo elements that are only dependent on GOE).

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hot DAMN. I'm quietly pleased, but the people who actually know and follow ice dance a lot will be gnashing teeth I guess.
But yeah, they're not about to let that no. 1 Russian spot get away easily!

I'll just be happy by myself I guess...

I'll celebrate with you! My babies won the FD and SILVER!!! :party2:

rain

Record Breaker
A general note, watching the lower-ranked teams and then the top teams makes me really appreciate the lifts of the top teams (most of the time). Boy were there some awkward/ugly lifts among the lower ranked teams. I was actually surprised at how hideous some of the lifts were of the reigning world junior champs from Russia, and I don't mean the one that went wrong. Leg positions matter ladies, in the final position, but also in the transitions and getting into the positions. There were some truly painful moments. I never understand how a coach can watch that in practice every day and not make changes.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not good when US #1 ice dance team and world silver medalists get beat in the FD by a team that hasn't done much of anything but implode over the last few seasons. :eek:

rain

Record Breaker
Not good when US #1 ice dance team and world silver medalists get beat in the FD by a team that hasn't done much of anything but implode over the last few seasons. :eek:

While they skate it very, very well, Hubbell/Donohue's program just isn't special. On the other hand, Sin/Kat's program is by far the best I've seen from a Russian dance team in at least 10 years. However, I don't think they need to panic or make a wholesale change. They had a problem on one of the lifts, and they can look at their levels.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
While they skate it very, very well, Hubbell/Donohue's program just isn't special. On the other hand, Sin/Kat's program is by far the best I've seen from a Russian dance team in at least 10 years. However, I don't think they need to panic or make a wholesale change. They had a problem on one of the lifts, and they can look at their levels.

It's hard to top an epic program like last year's from H/D. If they didn't do R&J I have no idea what they would or should change it to.

rain

Record Breaker
It's hard to top an epic program like last year's from H/D. If they didn't do R&J I have no idea what they would or should change it to.

Agreed. That's one of my favourite programs of all time. That's a high bar. Which is why I don't think they should panic and start throwing the baby out with the bathwater. A lot of people (I wasn't one of them) said the same thing about Virtue/Moir's Moulin Rouge last year and look at how that turned out. Heck, just getting rid of Leo's voice in the soundtrack would be a huge improvement in my opinion. I also think it's important for teams to try new things, and some are going to be more successful than others.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
These Russian commercials are wild. They’re working on me though, I now immediately want a yogurt, a whale watching trip, and what I believe is a nasal spray. Props for the close ups of the animated germs.

LOL! The year when the ONLY place you could watch Worlds was on a link from Latvian TV, I wanted to eat mounds and mounds of butter. And go on anti-cholesterol medication. Because for the entire event, all the commercials were either for every medical ailment you can imagine...or butter.

It was good to see that American TV isn't the only nutso media.

:hap57:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL! The year when the ONLY place you could watch Worlds was on a link from Latvian TV, I wanted to eat mounds and mounds of butter. And go on anti-cholesterol medication. Because for the entire event, all the commercials were either for every medical ailment you can imagine...or butter.

It was good to see that American TV isn't the only nutso media.

:hap57:

I remember one season there was a Russian streamer who would change the channel during ice cuts on us to Russian cable stations. Oh man...the dramaz and panic attacks they would cause :laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nikita is such a star in his own mind. It totally detracts from most of the program because he's trying too hard and never lets a moment happen. He needed to be skating in the 90s with Krylova.

That's the most incisive description of him I've ever read. Bravo!

Skatie

On the Ice
Just wanted to ask - if their FD had this much power and pull live as it seemed through the screen?
. More! I watched Nebelhorn on line and was mesmerized and didn’t think my emotions could get any stronger and when I saw it live today It blew me away and I am now even more emotionally invested!

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I failed to wake up and I'm in the middle of catching up, but the thing is I've just watched G/P's stellar FD and I don't want to watch other teams for now. God that was beautiful and lyrical, I was mesmerized during the entire performance. That should be shown again at Vancouver, really :( Oh, and Piper's dress is a thing of beauty.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Interestingly Piper and Paul won the TES. I wonder if they are in 3rd for the free because of early group or because the judges still don't prefer them.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Interestingly Piper and Paul won the TES. I wonder if they are in 3rd for the free because of early group or because the judges still don't prefer them.

I think it is a combination of both. Earlier group always has this lower PCS thing going on, more reserved approach towards it, but this FD poses a challenge itself in terms of assessing something like this - knowing already almost all programs teams have, this particular FD really does not fall into one specific category, proud of its uniqueness, flowing in its own rhythm rather than mimick something else. This is yet again an original, authentic concept of a program coming from Piper and Paul who keep on re-inventing themselves as artists and re-discovering new directions to push their skating - and it is no surprise for me that judges hesitate to push it above something that is recognizable, familiar, having some comparable perspective PCS-wise; this FD really has no comparison, because there is no other concept like that present to compare to: so much infused with thoughtfulness, tenderness, multi-dimensional vision of picture and motion, originality in idea, innovation in processing it AND raw emotion in translating it to the audience. Also, I found a totally new quality of narration through movement and gesture after yesterday's performance of that program - all elements, transitioning were an illustration of music and lyrics, telling the story on the same level, all these intricate changes in tempo of executing elements show novelty, but in the most intricate, organic way imaginable for me. They are simply building their own creation in that program, sculpting music by motion and feeling. Such things are hard to value and assess.