2019 European Championships Rhythm Dance | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2019 European Championships Rhythm Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Ok, you didn't see quite well. P/C, S/B and G/F all had the same keypoints in tango patterns. First pattern was NTYY and second was YYYY for all of them. P/C beat both in GOE and PCS, and S/B beat G/F only in PCS. I thought the scores were extremely fair to all the top teams.

I am not even addressing this to specific teams really:), just a general observation I can apply for some of top 5 and top 10 teams here. And nothing new this season, really - this trend of GOEing high over mediocre technical elements from levels' standpoint was there pretty quick. Adding reducing base score on levels and closing the gap between them to 0,5 pts, level do not longer determine tech superiority. In FD it is even more glaring, especially with 3 choreo moves/lift/slide etc. where team can be catapulted by GOE forward.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I am not even addressing this to specific teams really:), just a general observation I can apply for some of top 5 and top 10 teams here. And nothing new this season, really - this trend of GOEing high over mediocre technical elements from levels' standpoint was there pretty quick. Adding reducing base score on levels and closing the gap between them to 0,5 pts, level do not longer determine tech superiority. In FD it is even more glaring, especially with 3 choreo moves/lift/slide etc. where team can be catapulted by GOE forward.

Well yes but this is to make Ice Dancing placements more understandable for the general public. We can't really see the keypoints in a real time, but we can see that today P/C deserved to be in 1st, S/B in 2nd and G/F in 3rd. I think (almost) everybody will agree with those placements. I don't think someone will put Polish team who hit all the levels in a pattern in 1st or even 3rd :biggrin: Levels define tehnical requirements of the element, and GOE general quality of the element. You can perform elements who are technically more advanced but they are lacking in quaility, and vice versa.

gonewiththewind25

Final Flight
Europeans Predictions Game - Ice Dance small medals

Curious about your predictions results after the RD? There are 87 participants in the game and the podium is as follows (there are 2 gold, 15 silver and 2 bronze medals):

45 points

Baron Vladimir
DenissVFan
elektra blue
GarthAqua
Jeanie19
LadyB
lutz
Mohacz
NoNameFace
NYscorp6
ragdoll
Roo87
Sabrina
Sherlock Marple
Spirals for Miles
55 points

GoneWithTheWind
Phireye

40 points

noraaa
Wombat1800

Congratulations and let's see who is able to maintain the podium after the FD :)

I think I have 40 points as well...

1. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON- 15 POINTS
2. Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV - 0 POINTS
3. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI - 15 POINTS
4. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN - 5 POINTS
5. Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON - 5 POINTS
6. Sara HURTADO / Kirill KHALIAVIN - POINTS

15+15+5+5= 40

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
How come S/B twizzles always get so much GOE when there is so little ice coverage?
Speed of rotation, synchronicity and closeness to each other + the distance between them practically doesn't change from one set to another. Also, from what I remember, ice coverage has not even been a separate bullet point for the several last seasons. Twizzles can't be done in one place, but, as long as they are moving across the ice visibly, they are okay for high GOE. I haven't looked the bullet points up this season with the GOE change, though. Perhaps ice coverage is included again?

Their twizzles were really wobbly and inelegant.

Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
Twizzles - They do twizzle well with great speed and closeness. And it's a fab entry. Level 4 for both, 2.54 goe. And that goe should be higher than S/Bs.
What contrasting commentary :laugh:.

and RIGHT INTO one of the better
SL Lifts I've seen, with her hand on his boot and rotating. It's pretty close to P/G's Bond lift from last year. Well if you're gonna steal...
Or, rather, Weaver/Poje's lift which they have been doing for three seasons -https://youtu.be/2iyFs0tOfM8?t=55. But Guignard/Fabbri do it better. Fabbri is sitting lower in it, and the rotations are faster - probably Charlene's smaller height is helping. And they also have a more difficult entry.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I think I have 40 points as well…

Indeed, I've checked the results and it seems I forgot to include the 7th pair in the list of winners so that the algorithm works well. Now it should be OK. And this error resulted in an increased number of bronze medalists (there are 21 of them). Thanks for your feedback :) I've already corrected the table. If someone sees any other mistakes, please let me know.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well yes but this is to make Ice Dancing placements more understandable for the general public. We can't really see the keypoints in a real time, but we can see that today P/C deserved to be in 1st, S/B in 2nd and G/F in 3rd. I think (almost) everybody will agree with those placements. I don't think someone will put Polish team who hit all the levels in a pattern in 1st or even 3rd :biggrin:

The current standings are fine imho. Nice work by the Polish. Poor SK- the Russians are prone to big errors. What this really says yes the Russians and especially SK need to get the levels and tech solid.And it appears the top ten in the world are the French, Italians, 3 Americans, 2 Russians and depending on what the judges do with the Danedians even 3 Canadians. Now somehow I think they push the Danedians out of the top ten and let the Brits or Polish team or someone ahead of the Danedians. SK can still climb ahead of the Polish team imho.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The "Spanish civil War" continues. So close; I feel for them I forgot they too are a threat for top ten at worlds who ever survives the fight. Less than a point separates the two teams and a world berth is at stake.

Country
Russia
Just snarky comments all the time like ‚‘ oh they did fine here but lol they got kpNNNN‘ and laughing and they totally discredited P/C, saying they are slow in everything and that‘s why they always choose slow music, they can‘t skate fastly.. S/B are technically stronger blababla like wow chill
No. Really they told other.
I rewatched video.
https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sport...on_Chempionat_Jevropy_Tancy_na_ldu_Ritm_tanec - video.
From about 3:54:00 - commentators told about P/C and S/B. Yes, told that they don't see serious difference in technical level ("I may be critcized but I think so").
After that they compared relatively slow twizzles of P/C ("very syncronous, but they don't risk") and very fast twizzles of Davis/White.
Were twizzles of D/W faster? Yes.

Before that, at scores of Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI (79.05) they told that awaited 80, and told that technical score very close to S/B is deserved.

About Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV - only good words after skating (except "their tango was less tango than three previous couples" - these three couples S/K and S/B and G/F are no doubt stronger, so I don't see anything bad).

Anybody who knows Russian may rewatch and see is it so.

KMK0902

On the Ice
Just snarky comments all the time like ‚‘ oh they did fine here but lol they got kpNNNN‘ and laughing and they totally discredited P/C, saying they are slow in everything and that‘s why they always choose slow music, they can‘t skate fastly.. S/B are technically stronger blababla like wow chill

Well, it would be nice to see P/C expand their repertoire and skate to different types of music..... We all know they do the lyrical, slowish VERY well, but it would benefit their reputation immensely IMHO if they could try some different types - to me, right now, they are somewhat a "one-trick pony", a very good pony, but still one-trick...

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Just finished watching this, my take away points would be:

- LOVED the Finns - they were so elegant and I'm looking forward to seeing them as they improve more.

- Galyavieva/Thauron look like they've skating together for years??

- Thrilled for Lilah and Lewis :luv17: - the changes seem to have helped and hoping they can nail the TR in time for Worlds (I'd have them above Smart/Diaz but I'm biased so...)

- So sad for Sara Hurtado but I think they will be able to make it up in the free.

- Shocked at S/K but what I annoys me is the way he just gives up and stops - I feel like most of the other teams would fight and try and get that third twizzle in - it was the exact same as he did at 2014 Worlds where he just waited for his partner to finish - I don't get it??

- Yay S/B!! :dance: I'm a fan so I was so pleased to see them do well - her reaction in the KnC tells me that she knows they really have to bring it tomorrow if they want to close the gap between them and P/C.

- How is it that it's January and only ONE team hit all 8 KPs??? I know its tough but these are the cream of the crop so I'd like to see better? Gadbois definitely has a TR problem. Congrats to K/S though!

- I loved the colour of Gabi's dress! The dance overall didn't thrill me though? I think because of high expectations - if a team is breaking records the way that they are, I want to see level 4 across the board (but new GOE blah blah blah). Idk - I want to like them but something always makes me pause.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk :laugh:

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Well Ivan Bukin is like "WHOA" and Alexandra Stepanova is like "Okay then" it's such a stark contrast

I read somewhere that Ivan shows his emotions more and Alexandra is more calm and reserved so I think she just holds it all in. Whenever they get a big score her eyes always look a bit emotional but you never really see it on her face, whereas you can see everything on Ivan’s face, which is adorable.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Caught up.

Sinkats: I legit gasped. I really felt for them.

Stepanova Bukin: Still my favourite RD despite the technical flaws. And Ivan’s joy... I’m in love 🥰

KALISZEK / SPODYRIEV: Slow but they hit those technical point. I can’t argue that placement and those lifts were very impressive.

P/C: Everything everything was wonderful. Tiny bit clumsy in the pattern but you only notice that because you hold P/C to a higher standard. Deserved first.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
France
Music: Tango: "Oblivion" by Astor Piazzolla performed by Gideon Kremer; "Primavera Porteno" by Astor Piazzolla performed by Gideon Kremer
Choreography by: Marie-France Dubreuil, Christopher Dean, Stephane Lambiel
Costumes: One armed green tango dress for her, basic black for him with his usual PUHLUNGING neckline. But the matching pocket square in a nice touch!

Required Elements:

Well first off, that's quite the list of choreographers.

Some basic tango steps, moody sensuality school, to start and into a hop entry for the
Twizzles - done with connecting steps. Lovely and musical. Level 4 for both, 3.32 goe
Curve Lift - in the usual squat position for him, but at least it's a new position for her. Level 4, 1.52 goe
TR Pattern 1 - Level 2 NTYY, 2.61 goe
TR Pattern 2 - Level 4, YYYY, 2.94 goe
Tempo change and into the
ML St Seq - Level 3, 4.19 goe. Sorry but that's just silly. I love P/C, but COME ON.

Well it's a moody and lovely tango. But what people tend to forget is that the SD/RD has never been their strength. So I'm not surprised by that first TR pattern score.

And it's Gabby's dance. She's come into her own.

Score: 84.79 and ho hum another WR.

The deserved to be in the first. I think WR in skating are absolutely worthless and in part have hurt the reputation of skating. EAch year values, Goes change like some skaters change partners. Best score of the season is most comparable. You really shouldn't have WR asthey are worthless due to the sliding change of values forget the judging system. PC may not have the best relationship or chemistry for the tango but they are the smoothest and most finished right now. Gabby has improved over the y ears to catch up who looks like a real dancer even with the long neck - which he might want to wear a crew neck or collarsed shirt to mnimize. V or scoop may look dancerish but may esthethically create toolong of a neck - but that also might be an asset.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I find it really interesting how close S/B are to P/C in PCS. They beat them pretty strongly in TES but PCS is very close. I hope the tide isn't turning against them. ID tides can be very strong sweeping one team along and leaving the other behind.

OTOH ID needs a rivalry and the way things were going we could have all just predicted 4 straight WC for P/C and then Olympic gold and that wouldn't be very exciting for the casual viewer. Having a top Russian team and a top North American team that can challenge P/C will build drama and increase interest.

Exactly. And remember life isn't fair. ARguably Patrick Chan as an example and ironically Canadian Kurt Browning, Irina Slutskaya, Mao Asada and Michelle Kwan all were worth OGM but the time just wasn't right during their reign. So if PC somehow doesn't win in Beijing they will have tonnes of world titles and the right year and they would have OGM.