2020 Skate America: Ladies' SP | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Ladies' SP

Azikin

Medalist
I was disappointed in the music selections. One uninspired generic pop song after another. I didn't think that bthe music helped any of the ladies. (It was better overall in mens.)

Bring back classical -- give the skaters soemthing to get their teeth into.

Exactly. It was like a competition for the worst music to skate to. Thankfully we have Russian Cup today.. ;-) But otherwise the level was suprisingly high, I was only disappointed with Pooja that I was excited to see after a long time.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Feeling very happy for the ISU stream, which was really enjoyable, IMO.

Shin´s performance was my favourite with Tennel the close second. Jumpwise Gold´s performance was rather pitiful, but ignoring the elements it was enjoyable. But this is a competition....

I think the judges are doing a great disservice to skaters by ignoring some of their faults, but hasn´t that always happened in Skate America?

katymay

Medalist
I think in general, the athletes just need to have music consultants and search more far and wide to find interesting, unusual music, instead of settling for popular tunes so much. Classical doesn't always work for everyone, so I don't think it's necessary to 'go back to classical.' It's more of think outside the box. Sometimes classical mixed with pop, or jazz, or rock can be fun. There's a lot of music out there that skaters don't tap into. Quite often it's a classical warhorse, or other types of tunes that have been used to death, or gained popular attention in figure skating, so everyone goes to that same well. For example, Benjamin Clementine's Nemesis has been used by other skaters after Nathan introduced it. Hallelujah in different versions has been used to death. Claire de Lune has been used often, usually with great success for skaters.

I dislike Mariah Bell's fp music. I get her and Adam wanting to be hip and fresh, but I think last season's Work B*tch was enough. It's not particularly Mariah's style, but a lot of skaters seem to want to copy that bold, edgy take. Even Bradie this season seems to be moving in a hip direction thematically and musically.

There are other directions that can work. And there's plenty of music that goes untapped. Skaters need music consultants.
I think the thing they fail to take into consideration is the average age of a high level international judge. Just because a Generic Pop Ballad speaks to you, doesn't mean it speaks to a fifty year old from Germany, Russia or Poland. As far as ABBA-we were innundated with ABBA when we were young-years ago. Their music became groan worthy, and then, disappeared, only to reappear in Mamma Mia. (And then of course, my kids loved ABBA). That same 50 year old judge probably also groans when they hear ABBA, as most of my generation would.
On the plus side of music selection-I loved Audrey Shen's music-it was perfect for her.

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don’t think you shouldn’t be selecting your music to please Baby Boomers, although I’m pretty sure Generation X is hitting 50, too. I wish skaters would look at more current movie soundtracks, but it’s not my choice. If they want to use pop songs, good for them. At least, it not another warhorse that’s been done to death.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
After this competition, I’m never complaining about any other country overscoring again because I’ve realized that the US might be the worst😂 (this is a complete joke btw, overscoring-no matter what country-doesn’t benefit anyone in the long run)
...but the US is the worst though

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Gracie is a mystery to me. I wouldn't mind her missing both triples if she just looked like she was enjoying herself. I see no emotion or pleasure in her program. I get it that it's hard to have fun when your jumps are missing but she seems so mechanical through the whole thing. Hard to watch.

badknees

Medalist
Gracie is a mystery to me. I wouldn't mind her missing both triples if she just looked like she was enjoying herself. I see no emotion or pleasure in her program. I get it that it's hard to have fun when your jumps are missing but she seems so mechanical through the whole thing. Hard to watch.
I agree. I wish the best for Gracie and would love to see her get it all back. As a non skater, been watching for years but still can't tell the difference in the jumps...... I don't understand why the jumps and technique are lost just because you take a year or so off. Why is it so hard to get it back?
I realize she has problems and don't mean to be insensitive but maybe getting away from the music choices that speak to her and her current or past mental state.
Perhaps picking just fun music that is happy or just your typical classical skating piece.

Paulipau

Final Flight
Country
Poland
I think that Gracie's biggest problem is the confidence. She seems to be doubling and quiting those jumps at the very last moment. All the time....

Moreover, I think that Bradie's spins were remarkable, older skaters tend to slow them down and lose the flexibility. Glad that it's not happening here.
HATED the outfit tho, with this lean body she looks like a alien robot...

I always found Mariah much more enjoyable than Bradie, she is simply a better performer in my opinion, but I do agree that the difference in scoring should be smaller.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been out of the loop with skating for months since this madness started and figured there wouldn't even be a skating season but now that sports including skating is trying to go forward where can i watch SA and the rest of the season? I heard NBC gold doesn't covered figure skating anymore so who is streaming it now?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that for Gold it is so hard to get her triple jumps back, because her weight = body type is rather different compared to the days she was at her best condition jumpwise.

FlyingFeather

On the Ice
I've been out of the loop with skating for months since this madness started and figured there wouldn't even be a skating season but now that sports including skating is trying to go forward where can i watch SA and the rest of the season? I heard NBC gold doesn't covered figure skating anymore so who is streaming it now?
Peacock Premium is now live streaming figure skating and has a replay with ads. It's $5 per month. I use the Opera browser with VPN enabled to watch ISU's YouTube live stream for free. At least for Skate America, the ISU stream has the Eurosports guy commentating and the Peacock stream is commentary free.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Why US fed is favoring Bell? IMO Bradie had a better SP and is a better skater than her. Sure Bradie doesn't have that bright smile but she skates more with her feet. Is it because they didn't make Mariah win nats last season when many thought she should have won?
Her jumps landings are always akward Not talking about uncalled UR and edge. Superb spins though.

I like Gracie's costume.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are some of us in the general info thread talking there.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Is the ISU stream still available today. I'm having trouble finding it on YouTube. I have Peacock, but I don't like viewing it without commentary.
I did not watch ladies sp live, but next morning from Youtube by searching 2020 Skate America ladies. <it was possible either to watch the whole competition or just single skaters (selecting Skating ISU as the clip provider).

Last edited: