2018 Russian FS Championships Men FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian FS Championships Men FS

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Im personally fine with samarin.
Both he and Voronov had pretty decent season, and imho deserve going to euros based on their work this year.
While I like Aliev, i think it is utterly unfair to be sent to euros just because ha managed to skate well on this only one competition.

Yeah, I think Voronov has a better 'case' for being included on the Euros team.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Did the Russian Fed announce anything on whether the 2 Olympic spots have now been decided, or if Euros will factor in as well?
They already had to send a list to the Olympic Committee with the possible candidates (I know for ladies they sent six names, so for men probably four). How the Committee is expected to proceed from there it's not clear. Normally it is decided after Euros.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I love Dima but Sergei absolutely deserves to go to Euros. Dima has plenty of time and he needs it, to develop his stamina and recover his form. Why is the Rusfed so cruel to Sergei, just because of his age? It's so disgusting. And the way they are trying to hype up Samarin, who is about as empty a skater as they come, makes me want to break things. They pull something like this virtually every year. And it's clearly not helping anyone as every last man is crumbling under the pressure (even Kolyada, who should have no pressure...why should he when his scores keep going up no matter how terribly he skates?)

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I would totally send him to euros at least because well, tbh he got to GPF on sheer luck, but surely he had an overall better season than Aliev =(

If you mean that Sergei got to GPF since Hanyu withdrew from NHK, I don't consider that as qualifying out of sheer luck and I say that as someone who thought Adam should have won (but now I think it's not the case, Adam should only have hiher PCS but Sergei deserved to win). He still had to skate cleanly which he did and also had to place on podium at his other GP, which he also did and again, with a great perfomance. He would have qualified to GPF even if he was only second at NHK (if Hanyu was there). He was also the cleanest skater at GPF, the only one who didn't make serious mistakes, just a stepout on quad in FS.

And yes, I totally want Sergei at Olys and think he was robbed because Samarin's marks were disgusting. I hold nothing against him, but god, I wanted him to fail his FS so much so Sergei could get it, the same case for Dima. But in the end, it didn't matter, since judges would increase Samarin's PCS even more if it was necessary!

Also, if Sergei doesn't get named to Euros and Olys, I might be banned from these forums. Why? Because I'm going to swear and attack so much if it happens.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
If you mean that Sergei got to GPF since Hanyu withdrew from NHK, I don't consider that as qualifying out of sheer luck and I say that as someone who thought Adam should have won (but now I think it's not the case, Adam should only have hiher PCS but Sergei deserved to win). He still had to skate cleanly which he did and also had to place on podium at his other GP, which he also did and again, with a great perfomance. He would have qualified to GPF even if he was only second at NHK (if Hanyu was there). He was also the cleanest skater at GPF, the only one who didn't make serious mistakes, just a stepout on quad in FS.

And yes, I totally want Sergei at Olys and think he was robbed because Samarin's marks were disgusting. I hold nothing against him, but god, I wanted him to fail his FS so much so Sergei could get it, the same case for Dima. But in the end, it didn't matter, since judges would increase Samarin's PCS even more if it was necessary!

Also, if Sergei doesn't get named to Euros and Olys, I might be banned from these forums. Why? Because I'm going to swear and attack so much if it happens.

I think they should name Kolyada and Voronov to Olympics, based on 'body of work' or at least let Voronov go to Euros and see how he does.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Ah I know your pain! I'm so bummed that Sergei wasn't able to get on the podium here and so it would seem he's not getting the chance to go to Euros. :(

If I knew Russian I'd be writing to the Russian Fed, because Sergei's been overlooked for so long and he's always proved them wrong! Give him his due!

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
It seems Oleg Vasiliev is the first one to share his view publicly on men's competition, calling the result controversial: https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20171222/1130466054.html

This probably won't help, but at least someone is willing to defend Voronov against the unfair treatment he got. This also gives me confidence that there are other experts that think similarly.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
It seems Oleg Vasiliev is the first one to share his view publicly on men's competition, calling the result controversial: https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20171222/1130466054.html

This probably won't help, but at least someone is willing to defend Voronov against the unfair treatment he got. This also gives me confidence that there are other experts that think similarly.

I am with Vasiliev here a little bit. People cry that Kolyada gets such PCS with falls, but at least he is fighting till the last moment and the part of the fall took only 3-5 seconds out of the program, so it didn't influenced the PCS. But Aliev was really bad in the second part and also his presentation was tired and powerless, i wouldn't have given his PCS for this day. Neither to Samarin, which program is kind of empty /juniorish in PCS department.

At the same time, lets not forget that Voronov also didn't skate his best, so is difficult to cry that is only the fault of the judges. Has he presented himself without major faults, then an outcry would have been right. As it is, yesterday he didn't show everything, like Samarin and like Aliev....

I hope they will take in consideration the great season Voronov had. It is not Aliev year, it might better help him rest and recuperate, but you know that the federation is searching for the next star and pushes the youngster in the detriment of the older skaters. They ruined Kovtun like that, i hope they won't do it to Aliev..... Or to Samarin if we are at it.

Kolyada despite his mistakes has so much developed himself in the last four years, for him was the best that he wasn't pushed in those years.

ewdokia

On the Ice
At the same time, lets not forget that Voronov also didn't skate his best, so is difficult to cry that is only the fault of the judges.
But it is – as Sergei knew from the very beginning judging will be against him and Samarin on the other hand knew from the very beginning that judges will favor him no matter how he skates. Now who was in a more difficult position? I personally admire Sergei for getting it together in the middle of the program, he probably then already thought about the audience and not to disappoint them and not anylonger about the judges.

Take for example Alexei Yagudin, who was a real competitions kamikaze, but still he complained how difficult it was for him to skate at Russian nationals as he knew in advance that Russian fed and judges would favor Plushenko, who these years admittedly won his titles fair and square. Yagudin actually quite often had the worst skates of the season at Russian Nationals. :palmf:

If I knew Russian I'd be writing to the Russian Fed, because Sergei's been overlooked for so long and he's always proved them wrong! Give him his due!
I think English isn’t a problem. Officials should be able to understand the message. I had the same thoughts yesterday, i.e. that I’ll send them a protest letter. Now I’m thinking of setting up an online petition or collecting protest letters. I’ve seen such decisions now numerous times and I feel I can’t take it any longer sitting sad and angry in my chair, but that now there is time for active protest. And it’s not only about Sergei, I feel that Dima’s career is very much at risk now as well. :(

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Do it. Start the online petition. Yes, it is pathetic and won't save Sergei's spot unless someone gets injured. But it's also important to think about the future. This going on for a long time in Russian skating, corruption and favoritism but as long it will be tolareated, it won't change. And mainly, also Misha's, Dima's and Sasha's careers are at stake as well, due to Federation's dumb decisions, inflating their marks and letting them compete with injuries!

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
But it is – as Sergei knew from the very beginning judging will be against him and Samarin on the other hand knew from the very beginning that judges will favor him no matter how he skates. :(

No, it is not.

And how are you sooooo sure that Samarin knew he will be advantaged? Come on, don't be so unfair here.

Voronov had his chance, he didn't fully took it. Had he shown what he has in GP... but he didn't. Let's hope that the federation will take into account the body of work during the season, but i won't keep my breath(and Samarin didn't bombed his season so much that to say that only Voronov has a right to qualify for Oly and Samarin don't). I don't like Samarin's programs at all, i like Voronov's, but i also don't like to be unfair and totally dismiss someone and speak of them ugly just because i like someone more.

All of men had their own kind of pressure to deliver, all of them shown weakness here and there because of it. The pressure to be the favorite can be as great and debilitating as the one of being the unloved underdog.

TCAngel18

Medalist

Is there an English version of that article? I tried looking for spots on the page for a translation, but I can’t read Understand the Cyrillic alphabet, and can only understand a few words transliterated lol

ewdokia

On the Ice
No, it is not. And how are you sooooo sure that Samarin knew he will be advantaged? Come on, don't be so unfair here. .
I know it. Sergei knew judges will be against him. Just read his interviews. And the recent interview of his coach. Now if one skater knows in advance he will be judged badly, it’s just logical that Samarin knew he will get better PCS at Sergei’s cost. And by the way – I don’t blame Samarin, but his fed. :(

And as for me being unfair: in 2015 it had been openly announced that Russian Fed won’t send Menshov if he only places 3rd and if Adian halfway manages to stay on his feet with a 4th of 5th place finish. And what happened then? It’s not that Kostia ever was a stable skater, but he gave the worst free skate of the whole season right at nationals. Do you think this is fair? Announcing right ahead that one skater won’t make the team due to his age when another skater with the same placement makes it without discussion? :rolleye:

In this sport, more than 50 % of success / failure depends on your mental state, e.g. some skaters are just more stable in competition than others. However, the conditioning can be influenced by outside factors. Just listen how often skaters mention that the audience helped them, when they had a bad skate or skated with an injury at a competition. So basically if you feel positive support, it helps. And of course it also works the other way round: if you start a competition with a feeling that everything plays against you (and this by justified reasons), it will be very difficult if not impossible to skate well. I by the way think it was also one of the reason for Sergei’s meltdown at nationals last year. Situation was the same and I can tell you he had already all kind of problems with funding last year and this year even more. :dev2:

ewdokia

On the Ice
Do it. Start the online petition. Yes, it is pathetic and won't save Sergei's spot unless someone gets injured. But it's also important to think about the future. This going on for a long time in Russian skating, corruption and favoritism but as long it will be tolareated, it won't change. And mainly, also Misha's, Dima's and Sasha's careers are at stake as well, due to Federation's dumb decisions, inflating their marks and letting them compete with injuries!
Done: https://www.change.org/p/russian-fi...ov-on-russian-team-for-european-championships :)

Sofia

On the Ice
But it is – as Sergei knew from the very beginning judging will be against him and Samarin on the other hand knew from the very beginning that judges will favor him no matter how he skates. Now who was in a more difficult position? I personally admire Sergei for getting it together in the middle of the program, he probably then already thought about the audience and not to disappoint them and not anylonger about the judges.

Perhaps I'm being unrealistic here, but I wish he had focused even less on factors he couldn't control anyway. In an interview he brought up by himself, with some bitterness I think, that he knew very well some people didn't want him to succeed, and I started to worry that his mindset might backfire at some point. He was probably eager for vengeance, for proof that he's much better than they thought, but for Nationals, the most important goal is to advance to the final stage of Olympic selection, where his international reputation and experience could mean bigger advantage over Samarin than in national competitions. As long as he showed his usual form, skating politics shouldn't be able to stop him from going to Euros. Things would have been easier for him if he evaluated his situation more calmly and didn't let external factors distract and pressure him so much. But yeah, his enemies surely did their evil job here in an disgustingly explicit way...

I think English isn’t a problem. Officials should be able to understand the message. I had the same thoughts yesterday, i.e. that I’ll send them a protest letter. Now I’m thinking of setting up an online petition or collecting protest letters. I’ve seen such decisions now numerous times and I feel I can’t take it any longer sitting sad and angry in my chair, but that now there is time for active protest. And it’s not only about Sergei, I feel that Dima’s career is very much at risk now as well. :(

Yes :thumbsup: Better try to do something than sitting, suffering and then forgetting.

Sofia

On the Ice
Is there an English version of that article? I tried looking for spots on the page for a translation, but I can’t read Understand the Cyrillic alphabet, and can only understand a few words transliterated lol

Google translate is acceptable when there's no English version available.