2018 Skate Canada Rhythm Dance | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2018 Skate Canada Rhythm Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
It is 2.45 AM and I don't want to sleep nor watch ladies. I want to ugly cry.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I guess the Canadian Security Intelligence Service took my anonymous report regarding fake Canadians quite seriously. Ooops, did I just say that?! :devil::laugh2:

I see Russia is helping you out with their stream, so it’s all good. Lmao.

This is a good segue for a brief off topic educational blurb about Canada! For those of you who don’t know: The Canadian Security Intelligence Service, also known by the acronym “CSIS”, is the Canadian version of America’s CIA. ;)

Sorry all, I know this is nowhere near as exciting as a Canadian educational moment discussing bagged milk.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Deep breath

Deep breath.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I think the singles skaters can probably adjust easily but I think the rink size really sucks for the ice dancers. The pattern is supposed to be precise (and Lord knows the caller is strict with the key points). Why should they just have to adjust to the size of a rink depending on the competition? They should make some kind of allowance for it.

Hopefully some of you who actually skate weigh in.

They are making allowance for it. The Tango Romantica pattern--which is a complex and busy pattern among the international standard dances--is being allowed to cross the lengthwise midline when skating the inward lobes before heading back to the sides. When skating on an NHL rink which is narrower than Olympic, you pretty much have to do this on dances like the TR, or you'll crash into the boards and/or run out of space at the ends. Got to make that pattern really tight on the curves.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That hip hop tango is nothing new. There is a whole subgenre called tango nuevo (or neotango) and that song is a classic.

In ballroom, yes it's nothing new. In ID it is.

Sorry that wasn't clearer. I'm typing as fast as I can!

;)

GGFan

Record Breaker
They are making allowance for it. The Tango Romantica pattern--which is a complex and busy pattern among the international standard dances--is being allowed to cross the lengthwise midline when skating the inward lobes before heading back to the sides. When skating on an NHL rink which is narrower than Olympic, you pretty much have to do this on dances like the TR, or you'll crash into the boards and/or run out of space at the ends. Got to make that pattern really tight on the curves.

Thanks for explaining.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Can they put that behind them and deliver a great Free Dance?

I really hope so.
I didn’t see that coming and I’m in a bit of a shock. This is the coming-of-age season for Piper & Paul and they need to step up to the plate. There’s so much magic in them if they’re really switched on. I hope they are tomorrow, the Vincent programme is beautiful.
They need to go to the GPF :pray:

auser

Record Breaker
It is just...incredibly frustrating to see the full potential of that RD not being realized. Arguably, but for me the most original, authentic and vibrant RD from them all which sculpts the music by movement in exceptional way, a program that actually differentiates tempo in elements and is not just a push-face-push to the finish. I am crying from not being able to do something with it, however pathetic it sounds. It is just hard for me accepting them being such headcases when it comes to competition...
I agree. I am hoping they get beyond the whatever jitters of today's performance to improve through the coming season. I remember how excited I was when they finished 6th place at World Championships last season. Oh, and you were probably there;).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I agree. I am hoping they get beyond the whatever jitters of today's performance to improve through the coming season. I remember how excited I was when they finished 6th place at World Championships last season. Oh, and you were probably there;).

I was, I talked to them and I became even bigger fan I was, hence my emotional reaction on today's events... All I can do is believe and support at this point.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
What does a < mean in ice dance? Piper and Paul got one.

According to the ISU Handbook for pattern dances:

If the Pattern Dance is interrupted 25% or less (through stumble, falls, etc), the key points are called as identified and the level will be reduced by 1, adding “downgraded <”. It is reported on the Judges Details per Skater chart as: “<” to indicate an interruption of less than 25%.

That effectively knocks G/P's level down from 1 to Basic level, which is a loss of 1.35 base value points. The fall also happened right between the two pattern sections, so the fall also hurt the GOE of the first pattern. So yeah, talk about double jeopardy. Huge loss of technical points.

auser

Record Breaker
CTV throwing some serious shade here.. G/P fail so lets do a fluff piece on W/P... The SHADE! THE SHADE!
As a "fake Canadian", am I allowed to say that sounds facile of CTV and erm I won't repeat the rest in this family friendly forum. But you know my fondness for both W/P and G/P ;).

twirlingblades

Medalist
According to the ISU Handbook for pattern dances:

If the Pattern Dance is interrupted 25% or less (through stumble, falls, etc), the key points are called as identified and the level will be reduced by 1, adding “downgraded <”. It is reported on the Judges Details per Skater chart as: “<” to indicate an interruption of less than 25%.

Gotcha, thanks! Two teams got that call.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Gotcha, thanks! Two teams got that call.

For reference also, a legend is provided underneath the border for each team that got deductions (both W/L and G/P) in the protocols, although I will say UR is confusingly also there and should be deleted for ID:

< Under-rotated jump << Interruption of more than 4 beats < Interruption of less than 4 beats

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I didn’t see that coming and I’m in a bit of a shock. This is the coming-of-age season for Piper & Paul and they need to step up to the plate. There’s so much magic in them if they’re really switched on. I hope they are tomorrow, the Vincent programme is beautiful. b
They need to go to the GPF :pray:
I had so much hope for this team but really this is devastating. They aren't even in the last group I believe. And instead of challenging Hubbel and Donahue they are fighting for fifth not even a medal. It sounds bad but they needed to really skate well with high levels to impress judges. But they have been up and down like a yoyo Showing signs of brilliance and then wham. The fall from grace. I really thought this was their moment. And now this... We can hope for a comeback but they are so far behind.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had so much hope for this team but really this is devastating. They aren't even in the last group I believe. And instead of challenging Hubbel and Donahue they are fighting for fifth not even a medal. It sounds bad but they needed to really skate well with high levels to impress judges. But they have been up and down like a yoyo Showing signs of brilliance and then wham. The fall from grace. I really thought this was their moment. And now this... We can hope for a comeback but they are so far behind.

There must be tremendous pressure on new talents and those seeking a dramatic step up to skate at their home Grand Prix events.

There were some major disappointments last week at Skate America.

For example: Starr Andrews (I'm not a fan) bombed at home, but has done well (so far) the very next week in Canada. It's not the skillset, it's the nerves.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yikes! May they all skate better tomorrow. Sending good wishes & calming thoughts.

Being in the first group might hurt, but G/P do still have a chance for bronze here. Their SB in the FD is 116.72, while S/D's is 107.46. So, 9.26 points difference. They are currently behind S/D by 5.40. Different competitions, and people can improve of course, but still, they should move up to 3rd if they deliver tomorrow.

Thank you for doing that comparison. Still not good. A third would probably mean at best a tie-breaker based on points eventually. If they had gone clean, they'd have a really good shot at winning one. But this will hurt their total. (Of course, it's not like Nikita never gave up 10 points in a program). Anyway, G&P can go out there and fight for it. You never know what will happen in the future.

What does a < mean in ice dance? Piper and Paul got one.

It means they missed a few beats of the music during the second part of the pattern. Less than 4. There is a key on the protocol that kindly explains if you look at the small print below their marks.

Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
Hmmm. The judges are always so tough on them.

They blew two parts of the pattern. Splatted at the end of the first and missed the start of the second. What do you expect the judges to do? That's 2 out of only 5 elements. Completely cracked under pressure. Dang, because this should have been a great battle.

Did Scott ever comment Ice Dance?

He did, and he was a disaster. Mostly he just let Tracy say everything. And she really could have used someone to balance out her commentary in those days.

That hip hop tango is nothing new. There is a whole subgenre called tango nuevo (or neotango) and that song is a classic.

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I think, though, that when you are an essentially new ice dance team--only a couple seasons off the blocks--you had better show that you can do a classic tango style (no, not a warhorse, just a more classic style or at least skate to something with a very CLEAR beat to help you through the pattern) before attempting something this different. Don't get me wrong, I think there are teams out there that could pull this off; but Soucisse & Firus aren't getting the levels on the pattern in any of their international events. I don't think this music is helping them at all.

Do these guys think wearing suspenders makes them look more authentically Argentinian?

Gives me that "lumberjack" feeling due to the white longjohn shirt underneath.

both Canadianice dance team from contenders here at Skate Canada to bad pretenders.

Contenders were pretty clearly H&D, S&K, and G&P. Based on pre-season scores, past GP medals, top 10 results from Worlds in the past. Smart & Diaz were looking like a pretty solid fourth based on the pre-season. (Now a surprisingly good shot at 3rd). Soucisse & Firus are just starting their careers. Were close-ish to Smart & Diaz last season, but have been having a tough time with the pattern this year. Think 5th would have been a real success for S&F here. New day in the FD. They are really just starting out in their career.

I think the singles skaters can probably adjust easily but I think the rink size really sucks for the ice dancers.

I know some coaches rope off extra sections of a rink in order for dancers to practice for an event held in a smaller rink. I remember reading years ago that Russian dance teams that trained in Olympic-sized rinks used to do this in order to prepare for events in NHL rinks in North America.

Nika09

On the Ice
I like everything about Smart/Diaz this season (they were good last season too, few very pretty lifts in FD as I remember). And starting with RD: that program is beautiful and passionate, and most tangoIsh of them all. Twizzles on unison with music, StLift - SuperTangoLift, sassy sliding move and ending pose. And Olivia with those hairs, dark lipstick and black!!(not red or black-red!) tango dress looks super sexy. IMO.

Adria Diaz who used to skate with the Spanish Sara who now skates with Kirill.

And off ice: Adrian is Mady's (Hubbel) fiancée :luv17:

rinkside_user

On the Ice
Seeing all the drama and disappointments, may I ask for some serious Russian meddling next year and see Stepanova team up with Sinitsina as the most exquisite lookalike dance team of all time? Fierce tango fits them perfectly.